PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: The Force Awakens **SPOILER ALERT**

CommodoreVIC-22
12-17-2015, 05:29 AM
**THIS CONTAINS SPOILERS**

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35109900
http://www.braingush.com/2015/12/star-wars-episode-vii-force-awakens.html

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens
6.5 / 10 Stars - Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Ep. VII) is an above average "summer blockbuster" that has perhaps built a level anticipation that is impossible to fulfill.

The film starts out on Jakku, where Resistance pilot Poe Dameron has come to get a missing link in the map to locate Luke Skywalker. The First Order is hot on the heels of Dameron, and pursues him to a small village on the planet's surface. A battle ensues, and Dameron is captured, but not before putting this vital information within the BB-8 droid. We also witness stormtrooper FN-2187 (Finn) unwilling to fire on unarmed civillians, which is the beginning of the end in his loyalty to the First Order. The scene feels a bit awkward, and forced at times. They should have spent a lot more time on the initial dialogue of the film, instead of filming battle sequences.

After Dameron is captured, Kylo Ren is able to discern, through use of the "Force Chair" that the information about Luke Skywalker has been placed within a BB-8 droid. Shortly afterwards, with the assistance of FN-2187, Dameron is able to escape in a TIE Fighter, which crash lands back on Jakku. The duo are separated in the crash, and when Finn inspects the wreckage, he discovers Dameron's jacket shortly before the rubble is consumed by the desert. Dameron is believed to have perished in the crash.

We then cut to Rey, a scavenger on Jakku, who had stumbled upon BB-8 being taken by another scavenger. Rey "saves" the droid from being sold for parts, which later leads to BB-8 recognizing the jacket worn by Finn, as belonging to Poe Dameron. Rey and Finn seem to have an immediate spark. Finn tells her he is a member of the Resistance, and that they need to return the BB-8 droid back to the Resistance Base.

It is not long before we see TIE Fighters on the horizon, and our two heroines, with BB-8 in tow, need to to make a quick escape. They steal the Millenium Falcon, or what is left of it, and escape after some rough piloting on Rey's part, and a little bit of luck. Once free of the First Order, the Millenium Falcon is captured by Han Solo and Chewbacca, who had been tracking the ship, with the intent on re-taking it once the opportunity arose.

Han agrees to take the trio to Maz Kanata, who will assist them in acquiring a new ship to get back to the Resistance Base. It is here that Rey discovers the lightsaber of Anakin and Luke Skywalker. Upon touching the lightsaber, she is overwhelmed with visions of her past, present, and an unknown future. Maz finds the child, and encourages her to take the lightsaber, but a scared Rey flees just as the First Order arrives.

It seems a hopeless situation for Maz, Han, Chewbacca, and Finn, but in what was on of my favorite scenes of the film, we see a formation of X-Wings on the horizon. The Resistance has arrived, but Kylo is able to capture Rey and escape, believing he can withdraw the information about Luke Skywalker's whereabouts directly from Rey. Kylo takes Rey back to Starkiller Base, which perhaps derives it's name from Anakin Starkiller, the initial name of Luke Skywalker. It is, of course, a really big Death Star.

Finn reunites with Dameron, who is alive. In a plot to save Rey, Finn is able to convince Resistance leaders (i.e. General Organa) that he will be able to lower the shields to Starkiller Base. It's a bluff, but it is the only chance he has at rescuing Rey. With the assistance of Han Solo and Chewbacca, the trio crash land the Millenium Falcon, infiltrate Starkiller Base, capture Captain Phasma and say, "Hey, lower the shields!" Which she promptly does.

Meanwhile, Rey has been able to resist Kylo's attempt to extract information from her using the "Force Chair", and evens turns the tables on him, letting him know that she can see into his mind, as well. When Kylo leaves, Rey is able to use Jedi mind tricks on a stormtrooper to escape, and be reunited with Han, Chewbacca, and Finn. The reunion, however, is short lived. Upon seeing Kylo, Han goes out to meet his son and attempt to convince him to turn away from the Dark Side. Kylo, of course, completes his transformation to the Dark Side by murdering his father in cold blood.

Outside, a squadron of X-Wing pilots, who seemed more akin to gamers livestreaming on Twich than battle hardened veterans, attacked Starkiller Base. It hardly seemed appropriate to do bombing runs with X-Wings, but with Dameron at the lead, the squadron is able to destroy Starkiller Base with heavy losses. Chewbacca goes back to the Millenium Falcon. Finn and Rey battle Kylo, and Finn appears to have been fatally injured. Rey then rocks Kylo with Luke's lightsaber, before the world is pulled apart and the two are separated. Chewie flies in, rescuing Finn and Rey.

The film closes out with R2-D2 awakening, and combining the information from BB-8 to create the map to locate Luke Skywalker. Rey leaves Finn, and pilots the Millenium Falcon with the assistance of Chewbacca to return the lightsaber to the last Jedi, Luke Skywalker. Roll credits.

The film felt a lot like fan service, and while the story was interesting, the dialogue left a lot to be desired. Director J.J. Abrams took a safe approach to Ep. VII and in a lot of ways, fell short of delivering a film that stands up to the legacy of the original trilogy. For what it is, the film is a wonderful new chapter in the Star Wars saga, and a breath of fresh air, though I wish they took a page out of George Lucas' book and took a few more risks with the film.

You will notice a lot of parallels and similarities between Ep. VII and the original trilogy. There are a lot of new and old characters taking on familiar roles:

Poe Dameron: The character of Poe Dameron seems to fill a similar role to Luke Skywalker, and Wedge Antilles. Dameron is an expert pilot, who single-handedly destroys Starkiller Base. I thought Oscar Isaac fit exceptionally well into the pilot role, but his dialogue was not all that believable in the opening sequence.

Finn: In addition to Dameron, the character of Finn fills out the role of Han Solo. Finn is a bit of an outsider, and often wants nothing to do with the Resistance, but always does the right thing in the end. The blossoming "relationship" between John Boyega's character and Rey seems rushed, and forced at times.

BB-8: BB-8 fills the role of R2-D2, the faithful droid that carries vital information. In the end, it is the two droids together, who reveal the information about the whereabouts of Luke Skywalker.

Captain Phasma: Captain Phasma seems to be the new Boba Fett, though a very weak character at this point. For those who were disappointed with the silver ships of the prequel trilogy, the character of Captain Phasma seems as though it could have been entirely left out.

Maz Kanata: Maz is this wonderful alien character, who has lived for over a thousands years. In some ways, she tells the story of the past in advances the story, in a way that we might see Yoda, but her palace and relationship with Han Solo remind us of Jabba the Hutt, on a much smaller scale.

Rey: The character of Rey is clearly based on Luke Skywalker. Rey is an orphan child, left on Jakku by her parents, but her destiny to bring balance to The Force will effect the entire universe. Daisy Ridley's perfomance is one of the best of the film, but her almost immediate transformation as a master of The Force seems all too rushed. Signs seem to point to her being the daughter of Luke Skywalker.

Han Solo: Han seems to take on the mentoring role of Obi-wan Kenobi. He's not much as of a mentor, but his death aides Kylo Ren in completing his passage to the Dark Side. I think Harrison Ford was wise to pass the torch, and bow out of the franchise.

Kylo Ren: Kylo Ren is the main villain of the film, and fills the role of Dark Vader. Though not nearly as mysterious as Vader, and more of an angsty teen. I would put Kylo somewhere between Anakin (Ep. III) and Darth Vader. I think Adam Driver fit well into the role, but almost every aspect of his character has already been explained, leaving little to no mystery to Kylo, and nearly half the move spent unmasked.

Luke Skywalker: Luke has become Yoda. Mark Hamill makes a short appearance mid-film, and then we close the film as Rey returns his lightsaber. I'm interested to see how the relationship between Luke and Rey unfolds, though I doubt we'll see Rey carrying Luke around in a backpack through the forrest anytime soon.

I will admit that my rating is a bit harsh, but I had a lot of expectations for Ep. VII, and came away with little more than an action film based on the Star Wars universe. It was unfortunate to see Chewbacca sidelined, and his presence was almost entirely for nostalgia purposes and comic relief. It was Rey who informated General Organa of Han's passing, and it was Rey who was the pilot of the Millenium Falcon in the final scenes. In addition, a lot of the action sequences seem heavily dependent on CGI, and there were a lot of action sequences. The Millenium Falcon also seems to be always skimming over the water, or anything else it can.

Overall, The Force Awakens is a lovely trip down memory lane, with a new cast to carry the torch.

Batavian
12-19-2015, 12:07 AM
good review but we might want to add "spoiler alert" in case anyone has not seen the movie yet.

Nutter
12-19-2015, 03:52 AM
Top gross sales ever.. never really look farward to waiting for a film but hell I can not wait to see the film.

cyb3rb3n
12-19-2015, 06:17 AM
Added spoiler alert. Good catch Bat!! and yeah Nutter, they're forecasting 200 million by Sunday xD

Underdawg
12-19-2015, 07:29 PM
I saw it today. It's excellent.

war
12-19-2015, 09:17 PM
I waitedd on the first one for hours not falling for it again BLUE RAY WILL BE OUT SOON

Underdawg
12-20-2015, 08:12 PM
I waitedd on the first one for hours not falling for it again BLUE RAY WILL BE OUT SOON

If you liked the original trilogy then you will like this. Good story, good acting, cool fx. This is the Star Wars we've all been waiting for.

SoulMurz
01-02-2016, 08:16 AM
I fell asleep mid movie, but while I was awake it wasn't too bad. I guess my expectations were too high.