PDA

View Full Version : Tribes: Ascend

CommodoreVIC-22
03-17-2012, 07:36 PM
https://account.hirezstudios.com/tribesascend/

Tribes: Ascend is a re-make of Starsiege: Tribes, a first-person shooter from 1998. The same company is developing an MMO based off of the franchise, as well.

The game is in open beta right now. Before I played Battlefield 1942, I played Starsiege: Tribes, so the game is expecially cool for me. I don't know how many other guys (and girls) out there would be interested in this type of shooter, but I'm having a lot of fun in the open beta right now. And I can run the game sort of smooth with minimum settings. So, that's good.

CommodoreVIC

warchraze
03-20-2012, 01:04 AM
I have played it a few times. Its pretty fun and challenging. Reminds me of Unreal Tournament on crack. While I prefer BF this game is worth checking out.

SteveLord
03-20-2012, 10:07 AM
I played the original a few times, but never got hooked on it. I did play the original Earthsiege and Starsiege games though

CommodoreVIC-22
03-24-2012, 10:38 PM
I played the original a few times, but never got hooked on it. I did play the original Earthsiege and Starsiege games though

I was the opposite. I didn't get hooked until Starsiege: Tribes. I remember all the neighbors used to play it, lol. Make some phone calls, and get everyone on a server. I think they added too many new additions, but I've been having fun cruising around and discing people. Even on the lowest settings I still have a little lag, though.

Nephelim
04-01-2012, 01:06 AM
Damn fun game. Been playing the Beta.

CommodoreVIC-22
05-14-2012, 10:05 PM
If any of you guys made the transition from beta, or are interested in playing now, I've been playing under my old Tribes handle 'SeptaScarabae'. I'm mostly on Arena and Capture & Hold. I've been having a lot of fun, and haven't put a dime in the game yet. Planning to eventually do $50 one of these days to support the developers. I think it captures the spirit of the old Tribes games well. I hope it does better than Tribes: Vengeance.

CommodoreVIC-22
07-27-2012, 11:35 PM
http://s14.postimage.org/m5pcfoerl/Tribes_Ascend_2012_07_27_22_56_26_29.png

http://s16.postimage.org/8xlts8qrp/Tribes_Ascend_2012_07_27_23_07_05_86.png

Ben1248
09-10-2012, 06:52 PM
Sorry this is a few months later, but does this game still exist? I thought they shut down the Tribes franchise. It's the one where you can "sky" down slopes and have jet packs and a disc shooter right? It was the only FPS I was ever actually ridiculously good at and loved it, but I thought it got shut down?

If this game is still running, I will definitely be looking into it.

CommodoreVIC-22
09-10-2012, 10:58 PM
All iterations of the game are still available. Starsiege: Tribes (Original) and Tribes 2 are available for download. I believe Tribes: Vengeance (Third) is available for download, as well. You'll need to download community patches to bypass the old master servers, but people still play them. The latest iteration, Tribes: Ascend, was released this year and is a lot closer to the original than Tribes: Vengeance was. I've been playing as I'm able, and it is a lot of fun.

That being said, Tribes: Ascend is a free-to-play game, with the option to use micro transactions to purchase skins, and gain access to weapons earlier. I haven't put any money into the game, and regular come in first in Arena, so it's certainly not necessary. Maybe we'll see you in-game, mate!

iDustball
09-11-2012, 03:08 AM
I played this and Blacklight: Retribution a good bit when they released. Both great games!

Ben1248
09-11-2012, 05:10 AM
Oh so did people just set up their own servers? I believe the news was that they were no longer going to support their own servers for Tribes. That's awesome to hear it's still around though. I'll definitely download it. Tribes: Vengeance was laggy as hell when it first came out, but when it ran smooth...good times. Disc launcher to the face.

CommodoreVIC-22
09-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Yeah, the community released a patch that allows you to find existing servers. People always had their own servers, but it was the master server they all linked through, which allowed you to login and see what servers were available.

Ben1248
09-17-2012, 03:47 PM
I'll have to pick this up. StarSiege Tribes was one of the few games I rocked at. I was the Cloaked of Tribes. Spin disc against someone while they are in the midair, direct hit! Every time.

I also played the Tribes that was released for the PS2 when they released the ethernet connection addon. That was fun too. Not many players, but really fun.

Don't know why I was good at that and suck at all other FPS.

CommodoreVIC-22
09-17-2012, 07:25 PM
Tribes: Aerial Assault. I've got a copy of that.

I'm an above-average FPS player, but I was an extremely good Starsiege: Tribes player. It probably had a lot to do with extensive hours playing, similar to time spent in Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield 2. I played a lot of the Team Aerial Combat (TAC) mod.

Ben1248
09-17-2012, 07:41 PM
It didn't take me long to get good at tribes for some reason. I just had a knack for it. Maybe it was because it was so vertical and people so visible as opposed to other FPS where you die real fast before you even see what happened?

And I dominated Aerial Assault. I have no clue why, but I was always #1 on the scoreboard. I'm guessing it's due to lag that I didn't have because I am not good with a controller and FPS games, which is why I bought BF3 twice; PS3 and then PC.